State Key Laboratory of Polymer Physics and Chemistry
Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Renmin Street 5625
130022 Changchun, China
Tel: +86-431-85262130 Fax: +86-431-85262126
Soft Condensed Matter Physics
- Interactions between macromolecules and biomembranes
- Dynamics and conformations of individual polymer molecules in various flows
- Separation and characterization of macromolecules
09.1998-12.2003 Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry and Physics, Changchun Institute of Applied
Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
(Advisor: Prof. Tianbai He and Prof. Shuqin Bo)
09.1994-07.1998 B.S. in Chemistry, Wuhan University, China
09.2011-present Associate Professor, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese
Academy of Sciences, China
06.2009-08.2011 Postdoctoral Fellow, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces,
Germany (Advisor: Prof. Reinhard Lipowsky and Dr. Rumiana Dimova)
09.2005-04.2009 Postdoctoral Fellow, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
(Advisor: Prof. Victor Steinberg)
09.2004-08.2005 Postdoctoral Fellow, Deutsches Kunststoff-Institut, Germany
(Advisor: Prof. Harald Pasch and Dr. Wolfgang Radke)
01.2004-08.2004 Research Associate, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese
Academy of Sciences, China
2013- Head of the MPG-CAS Partner Group appointed by the Max Planck Society,
Germany and the Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, with a grant of 100k €
2007 Young Scientist Award Lecture at 3rd International Symposium on the Separation and
Characterization of Natural and Synthetic Macromolecules, Amsterdam, Netherlands
2005 Feinberg Postdoctoral Fellowship, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
Referee for international journals including Langmuir, Biophysical Journal, Analytical
Chemistry, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Journal of Chromatography A,
Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering,
Journal of Chemical Engineering Data, ePolymers, etc.
Ziliang Zhao (PhD student, 2011-2015, now postdoc at MPIKG)
Qi Li (Master student, 2014-2016)
Eddson Zengeni (Prof. Pasch’s group, University of Stellenbosch, 2012)
Trevor Gavin Wright (Prof. Pasch’s group, University of Stellenbosch, 2014)
Carlo B. Botha (Prof. Pasch’s group, University of Stellenbosch, 2015)
List of Publications
26. Z. Zhao, Q. Li, X. Ji, R. Dimova, R. Lipowsky, Y. Liu＊, Molar mass fractionation in aqueous two-phase polymer
solutions of dextran and poly(ethylene glycol), Journal of Chromatography A 1452, 107-115 (2016).
25. Q. Li, W. Zhao＊, Z. Zhao, X. Ji, S. Bo, Y. Liu＊, Band broadening and chain conformation of polyethylene oxide by
gel permeation chromatography coupled with multi-angle laser light scattering, Chemical Journal of Chinese
Universities (in Chinese) 37, 761-766 (2016).
24. W. Wang, K. Shi, Y. Pan, C. Peng, Z. Zhao, W. Liu, Y. Liu, X. Ji＊, Fabrication of polymersomes with controllable
morphologies through dewetting w/o/w double emulsion droplets, Chinese Journal of Polymer Science 34, 475-482
23. R. Dimova＊, R. Dasgupta, N. Fricke, Y. Liu, J. Agudo-Canalejo, A. Grafmüller, R. Lipowsky, Tubulation in giant
vesicles induced by GM1 or PEG adsorption, Biophysical Journal 110, 244a (2016).
22. Y. Liu, J. Agudo-Canalejo, A. Grafmueller, R. Dimova, R. Lipowsky＊, Patterns of flexible nanotubes formed by
liquid-ordered and liquid-disordered membranes, ACS Nano 10, 463-474 (2016).
21. Z. Zhao, Q. Li, Y. Xue, X. Ji＊, S. Bo, Y. Liu＊, Composition and molecular weight determination of aqueous
two-phase system by quantitative size exclusion chromatography, Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities (in
Chinese) 37, 167-173 (2016).
20. Z. Zhao, X. Ji＊, R. Dimova, R. Lipowsky, Y. Liu＊, Viscoelasticity of poly(ethylene glycol) solutions on supported
lipid bilayers via quartz crystal microbalance with dissipation, Macromolecules 48, 1824-1831 (2015).
19. S. Pataraia, Y. Liu, R. Lipowsky, R. Dimova＊, Effect of cytochrome c on the phase behavior of charged
multicomponent lipid membranes, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta – Biomembranes 1838, 2036-2045 (2014).
18. Y. Liu＊, V. Steinberg, Single polymer dynamics in a random flow, Macromolecular Symposia 337, 34-43, (2014).
17. Y. Liu＊, R. Lipowsky, R. Dimova＊, Concentration dependence of the interfacial tension for aqueous two-phase
polymer solutions of dextran and polyethylene glycol, Langmuir 28, 3831-3839 (2012).
16. Y. Liu, V. Steinberg＊, Stretching of polymer in a random flow: effect of a shear rate, EPL 90, 44005 (2010).
15. Y. Liu, V. Steinberg＊, Molecular sensor of elastic stress in a random flow, EPL 90, 44002 (2010).
14. Y. Liu, Y. Jun, V. Steinberg＊, Concentration dependence of the longest relaxation times of dilute and semi-dilute
polymer solutions, Journal of Rheology 53, 1069-1085 (2009).
13. Y. Liu ＊ , Y. Jun, V. Steinberg, Longest relaxation times of double-stranded and single-stranded DNA,
Macromolecules 40, 2172-2176 (2007).
12. Y. Liu＊, W. Radke, H. Pasch＊, Onset of the chromatographic mode transition from hydrodynamic chromatography
to slalom chromatography: an effect of polymer stretching, Macromolecules 39, 2004-2006 (2006).
11. Y. Liu＊ , W. Radke, H. Pasch＊ , Coil-stretch transition of high molar mass polymers in packed-column
hydrodynamic chromatography, Macromolecules 38, 7476-7484 (2005).
10. L. Pan, Y. Liu, K. Zhang, S. Bo, Y. Li＊, Investigation of the effect of branched structure on the performances of the
copolymers synthesized from ethylene and α-olefin with rac-Et(Ind)2ZrCl2/MMAO catalyst system, Polymer 47,
9. S. Bo＊, Y. Liu, W. Zhang, W. Chen, X. Xu, Composition and microstructure of the fisheyes in a Metallocene linear
low density polyethylene film, Chinese Journal of Applied Chemistry (in Chinese) 22, 399-402 (2005).
8. Y. Liu, S. Bo＊, Y. Zhu, W. Zhang, Studies on the intermolecular structural heterogeneity of a propylene-ethylene
random copolymer using preparative temperature rising elution fractionation, Journal of Applied Polymer Science 97,
7. Y. Liu, S. Bo ＊ , Hydrodynamic radius characterization of a vinyl-type polynorbornene by size-exclusion
chromatography with a static and dynamic laser light scattering detector, Chromatographia 59, 299-303 (2004).
6. Y. Liu, S. Bo＊, Studies of instrumental spreading in gel permeation chromatography by coupling with a two-angle
laser light scattering detector, Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies 27, 611-627 (2004).
5. Y. Liu, S. Bo＊, Y. Zhu, W. Zhang, Determination of molecular weight and molecular sizes of polymers by high
temperature gel permeation chromatography with a static and dynamic laser light scattering detector, Polymer 44,
4. Y. Liu, S. Bo＊, Characterization of the microstructure of biaxially oriented polypropylene using preparative
temperature-rising elution fractionation, International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization 8, 225-243
3. G. Yang, L. Zhang＊, X. Cao, Y. Liu, Structure and microporous formation of cellulose/silk fibroin blend membranes
Part II. effect of post-treatment by alkali, Journal of Membrane Science 210, 379-387 (2002).
2. G. Yang, L. Zhang＊, Y. Liu, Structure and microporous formation of cellulose/silk fibroin blend membranes I. effect
of coagulants, Journal of Membrane Science 177, 153-161 (2000).
1. L. Zhang＊, Q. Ding, D. Meng, L. Ren, G. Yang, Y. Liu, Investigation of molecular masses and aggregation of
β-D-glucan from Poria cocos sclerotium by size-exclusion chromatography, Journal of Chromatography A 839, 49-55
(1) Interactions between water-soluble macromolecules and model biomembranes, Quartz Crystal Microbalance
Technique Workshop & The 4th QCM-D User Meeting, Guangzhou, China, November 9-10, 2015.
(2) Spontaneous curvature of membranes exposed to asymmetric polymer solution, Biomembrane Days 2014,
Harnack Haus Berlin, Germany, September 1-3, 2014.
(3) Spontaneous tubulation of biomimetic membranes exposed to chemically distinct environments, Sino-Germany
Bilateral Symposium on Bioinspired Materials Science and Engineering – Biofabrication, Biomaterials and
Biomacromoelcules (BMSE-3Bio 2014), Wuhan, China, May 11-15, 2014.
(4) Single polymer dynamics in a random flow, 12th Annual UNESCO/IUPAC Workshop and Conference on
Macromolecules & Materials, Stellenbosch, South Africa, March 24-28, 2013.
(5) Dynamics and conformations of single polymer chains in a random flow, International Symposium on Polymer
Materials and Science, Changchun, China, August 1-5, 2012.
(6) Competition between budding and tubular formation in vesicles enclosing aqueous polymer solutions, Beijing,
China, KITPC Program on Membrane Biophysics: Theory and Experiment, May 7 – June 1, 2012.
(7) Single polymer dynamics and membrane biophysics, NSFC Symposium of Young Scholars in Polymer Science,
Shanghai, November 12-14, 2011.
(8) Stretching-induced chromatographic mode transition of high molar mass polymers in packed-column
hydrodynamic chromatography (Young Scientist Award Lecture). 3rd International Symposium on the Separation
and Characterization of Natural and Synthetic Macromolecules, Amsterdam, Netherlands, January 31-February 2,
(9) Spontaneous tubulation of giant vesicle enclosing aqueous two-phase system, Tuebingen University, Tuebingen,
Germany, September 9, 2016.
(10) Lipid membranes in contact with multiple aqueous phases, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa,
July 24, 2015.
(11) Single polymer dynamics in a random flow, Leibniz Institute of Polymer Research Dresden, Dresden, Germany,
May 24, 2013.
(12) Lipid membranes in contact with aqueous polymer solutions, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany,
August 24, 2012.
(13) Polymer dynamics and membrane biophysics, Department of Physics, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium,
March 3, 2011.
(14) Molecular sensor of elastic stress in a random flow. Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Changchun, China,
May 27, 2009.
Contributions to Conferences (O: Oral, P: Poster)
(15) Ziliang Zhao, Xiangling Ji, Rumiana Dimova, Reinhard Lipowsky, and Yonggang Liu, Adsorption of chitosan on
supported lipid bilayers, Biomembrane Days 2016, Harnack Haus Berlin, Germany, September 5-7, 2016. (P)
(16) Rumiana Dimova, Raktim Dasgupta, Nico Fricke, Yonggang Liu, Jaime Agudo, Andrea Grafmüller, Reinhard
Lipowsky, Spontaneous tubulation in giant vesicles induced by GM1 or PEG adsorption, 60th Biophysical Society
Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, USA, February 27 - March 2, 2016. (P)
(17) Ziliang Zhao, Xiangling Ji, Rumiana Dimova, Reinhard Lipowsky, Yonggang Liu, Adsorption and viscoelastic
properties of polyethylene glycol solution on the supported lipid bilayer, Biomembrane Days 2014, Harnack Haus
Berlin, Germany, September 1-3, 2014. (P)
(18) Yonggang Liu, Halim Kusumaatmaja, Rumiana Dimova, Reinhard Lipowsky, Biomimetic membranes exposed to
chemically distinct environment acquire spontaneous curvature, From Soft Matter to Bio-Systems: Symposium on
the Occasion of the 60th Birthday of Reinhard Lipowsky, Potsdam, Germany, November 21-22, 2013. (P)
(19) Yonggang Liu, Hydrodynamic chromatography of ultra-high molar mass polymers, 8th National Conference on
Molecular Characterization of Polymers, Suzhou, China, September 24-27, 2012. (O)
(20) Yonggang Liu, Single polymer dynamics in a random flow, 5th International Symposium on Polymer Chemistry,
Changchun, China, June 2-6, 2012. (O)
(21) Yonggang Liu, Reinhard Lipowsky, Rumiana Dimova, Lipid sorting in membrane tubes inside vesicles enclosing
two aqueous phases. Biophysics of Membrane Transformation, Bad Honnef, Germany, October 27-30, 2010. (O)
(22) Yonggang Liu, Victor Steinberg, Saturation of polymer stretching in elastic turbulence of polymer solution.
International Symposium on Polymer Physics, Xiamen, China, June 8-12, 2008. (O)
(23) Yonggang Liu, Victor Steinberg, Single polymer stretching in elastic turbulence of polymer solution. APS March
Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, March 10-14, 2008. (O)
(24) Yonggang Liu, Victor Steinberg, Polymer concentration and single polymer stretching in elastic turbulence. 53rd
Annual Meeting of Israel Physical Society, Rehovot, Israel, December 9, 2007. (O)
(25) Yonggang Liu, Victor Steinberg, Polymer concentration and single polymer stretching in elastic turbulence.
Turbulence and Mixing, Eilat, Israel, November 3-8, 2007. (O)